Which Houses Do Burglars Target?
As homeowners, we all want to feel secure in our homes. Unfortunately, burglary is a reality that can happen to anyone, anywhere. According to government statistics , there were 12,151 residential burglaries in the Greater Manchester region last year, in addition to 245 aggravated residential burglaries. Moreover, 648 burglaries in businesses and communities, of which 22 were aggravated, have occurred.
So, it’s essential to figure out a way to defend yourself from burglars. To determine what kinds of homes they might target, it helps to get to know them better and comprehend their priorities, rationale, and way of thinking.
Burglary and aggravated burglary
Burglary is the act of illegally entering a building with the intention of committing a crime, usually theft. It is a serious offence and can result in fines, imprisonment, and a criminal record.
Aggravated burglary is a serious criminal offence that involves entering a building or property with the intention of committing a burglary, while also carrying or using a weapon, causing injury or harm to someone, or committing the crime with accomplices.
What The Burglars want?
Burglars want to steal valuable items that they can sell for a profit. This can include cash, jewellery, electronics, and firearms. They also look for items that are easy to carry and conceal, such as laptops and small electronics.
What Attracts Burglars the most?
This is crucial to having an understanding of the houses burglars target to prevent it from happening.
Burglars are attracted to homes that are easy targets. They look for homes that are unoccupied, have easy access points, and have valuable items visible from outside. Here are some common factors that attract burglars:
- Unlocked Doors and Windows: Burglars look for easy access points, such as unlocked doors and windows. Always make sure to lock your doors and windows, even when you are home.
- Valuable Items Visible from Outside: Burglars look for homes with valuable items visible from outside. Keep your valuable items out of sight or ideally, in a safe. Even if you do not leave packaging from expensive items outside your front door.
- Lack of Security: Burglars look for homes with no security measures in place, such as alarms or cameras. Invest in a home security system to deter burglars.
- Unoccupied Homes: Burglars look for homes that are unoccupied, such as homes with no cars in the driveway or no lights on at night. Use timers to turn on lights and a TV or radio to make it look like someone is home. Take extra care during the school run or holidays.
- It’s a fact that many burglars return to homes that they’ve previously burgled because the homeowner failed to upgrade security following the first burglary. They sometimes return to an area to try to burgle a nearby home that they spotted while committing a previous break in. Even more reason for you to ensure you keep your home as safe as houses.
How to protect our home from burglary?
- Lock Your Doors and Windows: Always lock your doors and windows, even when you are home.
- Invest in a Home Security System: A home security system can deter burglars and alert you and the authorities if there is a break-in.
- Keep Valuable Items Out of Sight: Keep your valuable items out of sight in a safe. Safes International can provide you with a variety of safes from Underground safes and Graded safes to Bespoke and Luxury safes. So just leave an inquiry and our staff will help you with free consolation to help you decide better.
- Use Timers: Use timers to turn on lights and a TV or radio to make it look like someone is home. You can find a perfect match for your needs as there are lots of companies that sell high-quality timers at a reasonable price, and they have installation services as well.
- Install Motion-Activated Lights: Install motion-activated lights outside your home to deter burglars.
- Use the facilities of safe deposit centres. One of the most trusted ones is The Safe Deposit Centre in Manchester. They provide safe lockers of any size and type. The larger sizes they provide might be great for valuable items that are hard to keep out of sight.
- Keep Your Property Well-Maintained: Keep your property well-maintained, with trimmed bushes and trees, to eliminate hiding spots for burglars.
In conclusion, burglars target homes that are easy targets, such as those with unlocked doors and windows, visible valuable items, a lack of security measures, and unoccupied homes. To protect your home from burglary, always lock your doors and windows, invest in a home security system, keep valuable items in a safe or a safe deposit box outside your home, use timers, install motion-activated lights, and keep your property well-maintained.
Safes International would be pleased to provide additional tips and resources to protect your home from burglary.
For More information, please call 01415541170 or send an email to email@example.com .